Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Uuuuuugh

I'm about to share one of my least favorite things about parenting with you. Ready?

When you kid does something {REALLY} naughty and you can't get mad at them because you weren't paying attention to them.

This could be something like writing on the walls/couch/carpet with pen/crayon/permanent marker. Or squishing their bread into their water cup, then proceeding to let their play horse "eat" said concoction. Or they could pull all of the books off of the bookshelf. All extremely obnoxious. All things little kids do, its just how it is.
Tonight's episode is bad, and annoying, and {mostly} my fault.

So here I am, happily typing away at my post (see next post) and I hear Rachael in the bathroom playing in the sink with her toys. A usual occurrence in this house. I usually end up with water all over the floor and a sopping wet kid. Not a big deal, I'd rather have her doing that than wasting her life away in front of the TV. Tonight, I thought to myself at LEAST four times, "There are so many worse things she could be doing."
Then I hear the splashes. She occasionally dumps cups of water onto the bathroom floor, quickly putting a halt in her water-play. I thought this would be no different. I was wrong. After plugging the sink, she took the ENTIRE roll of toilet paper, basically a new roll, and torn it up (including the cardboard roll...) and placed it in the sink. Then filled it with water. The splashes I heard was the result of the T.P. plugging the emergency drains near the top of the sink, thus allowing the water to leak all over the counter and onto the floor. Joy. I had to scoop the sopping T.P. out, allowing the least amount to go down the drain. So annoying. And to keep Rachael away (and to keep her from waking her sister) I just shut her into her room, no reprimand.

I need to be more vigilant in watching what my three year old does, but sometimes I'm just too tired. Then I end up with more work later. Such is parenthood, I guess...

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Posts like this make me thank my lucky stars I still have a few months of calm before Isaac starts really getting into things. :)