Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New York or California?

(Long post ahead... beware)
I know, can't get much further apart than those two states. But that, my friends, has been our family's dilemma since about three weeks ago. Long story short, one of Nate's professors recommended him to a job in PwC (for those who don't know, PricewaterhouseCoopers, the company Nate did his NYC internship for and received a job offer for in that office) Las Vegas, but they didn't have any tax openings, and Nate HATES audit (which I'm 100% ok with, because that means no monthly business trips to audit companies), but the recruiter he was talking with did mention an opening in their Orange County office. So we did some research and found out that Irvine, CA is one of the Top 5/10 (I can't remember) cities with over 100,000 people to live in. Pretty sweet, eh? And my friend, Marissa, has a bro-in-law who used to live there and here is what he said, "We really liked Irvine, minus the Asian drivers all over the place, but it is super clean, a little too safe, and very manicured, both the people and the landscape.. when we first moved there we felt like we lived on a movie set. " Um, I think I can handle that... although I may need to work on my personal up keep... and buy some new clothes :)
But the entire time Nate and I were discussing the pros and cons, he kept asking me, "So how do you really feel?" Basically every time, my response (and his), was if we go to California, we won't be going to New York. Profound, no? Thing is we were SO excited to go to New York! Central Park, Times Square, amazing thrift shops, cute little bakeries, any type of food you could ever imagine, all right there. I think since we had no other option, I just wrapped my mind around the fun, amazing side of New York. Even after I found out I was pregnant (which was always the plan and another baby was ALWAYS a factor in our NYC adventure) I was still excited, planning which stroller to get, searching to see what kind of two bedroom apartment we could afford and where (not much, I'll tell you...), thinking about trips to the Museum of Natural History, the Children's Museum, all the fun stuff to do with kids. And the reality of it is, New York City is NOT a child friendly place. I know people do it, and some people I know love it, but it is stinking hard. I only had one kid last time we were there, and she just sat in her cool NY stroller like a champ. Now I've got a crazy toddler/almost preschooler and a baby on the way. H. A. R. D. I also talked to my good friend, Rachael, who has lived there 2.5 years, and she was being honest with me, which I VERY much appreciated, when she said that the blazing hot summers and the bitter cold winters were enough to make her want to leave New York. Basically, she loves NY in bits and pieces. For me, taking a step back and looking at it from a realistic view, my guess is that the majority of my time in New York would be spent in my tiny apartment because it is just so much work hauling two kids around on foot everywhere. Some people can do it, and I respect and admire them, but I truly do not think I would be happy. If that was our only option, of course I would go in to it with a good attitude and make the best of things, but this other option came along, so... we're going to take it.
Yes people, we're moving to Irvine, California in July 2011!! Nate starts his what I call "Big Boy" job on July 7. We're still trying to figure out how everything will work, I may be hanging around in UT for the month of July, but who knows. We no longer have to sell everything we own, although I was kind of excited for that... California, in the end, is just plain better for our family. With new additions that will be coming in the next few years, it just feels better. Not to mention Irvine is 15 miles south of Disneyland, 15 miles east of the beach, and surrounded by the most amazing shopping you could ever dream of!! And I'm being 100% serious when I say COME AND STAY WITH US!! Seriously, plan a trip to Disneyland, and come crash on our floor!! We'll have an air mattress, I swear!
So there you have it, that is the decision, and we are SO excited about it!! Keep posted to hear updates and hopefully see some pictures of the area we would like to live in, because hopefully next month we'll be able to go for a quick visit.

P.S. I didn't mention that even though Nate is taking a pay cut going to California instead of NYC, after rent, taxes, and everything, we will have more take home pay than we would have in New York, which is a GREAT perk!!

8 comments:

● C E L I N A ● said...

BOOOOO!

I mean YEAH!!!!

At least disneyland is close by! Congrats on the decision making!

Melanie and Curtis said...

Cool! I think you made a great decision Erin! Way to go! Perhaps we will come visit!

Unknown said...

Whoo Hoo!!
I was definitely rooting for California!!

Lindsey said...

I was excited about California until I read this and fell in love with NYC all over again. Now I'm sad. Maybe I should go live on the streets of NYC for a while and see if I still love it. Part of me thinks I still will.

Lisa said...

umm, we will be coming to visit and going to disneyland at some point in your life in irvine. almost guaranteed.

Clarissa said...

Yeah!
New York sounded fun but honestlty I was not jealous of you. This sounds like a great plan!!

...now I AM jealous of you for actually knowing what is going on with your future.. (0:

Maren Menditto said...

I am SO EXCITED to have you here!!!! I miss you!!

Bret and Britni said...

yahhh! I'm happy for your decision! Doesn't that just take a load of stress off you? Yayy!!! Erin & her babies will now be closer to me. Muahahaha! :)