Thursday, September 30, 2010

Something to do...

I am constantly on the look out for things for Rachael to do during the day that will just keep her busy. My sister works at a Pre-School, so I asked her if she had any fun ideas. She did, and she would tell me about how she would do them with our nephews, ages 7, almost 4, and 2. She would say, "The boys LOVED it," and I'd ask, "Did Liam (the two year old) like/do it?" Her response? "No." Bummer, I guess its just the tough age where attention spans are non existent (except watching a movie) and they just like to follow mom all day saying, "Mom... Mom... Mom... MOM!!" "What??" (She holds up a spatula) "Wow." Yes, that is my world currently, lol. So, in the hopes of finding a suitable creative activity (and to satiate her love of coloring), I have been wanting to make her a chalkboard out of a plain, old, ugly piece of wood and some chalkboard paint. Well... what did my wonderful sister find at the D.I.? Some amazing old cabinet doors for $3 each!! So, blessed woman that she is, bought me one (or should I say bought Rachael one) and even let me use some of her chalkboard paint. Now I have an uber cute chalkboard for my little scribbler to use. She loves it, but I've taken it away for a couple of days to some of its novelty comes back. I usually do that with all of her toys, keep them in separate bins and only take one bin out each day. (Although the other day she was really driving me crazy so I literally took out every single toy she has, along with all of her books, and put them all on the floor of her room. Two minutes later, what does she come to show me? All of the wipes she pulled out of the container. Of course.) So, here's to imagination filled activities! (and please feel free to share any genius ideas you might have!!)


4 comments:

Ben, Elise, Lucy, and Jack said...

Erin- This is a GREAT idea! and i am totally going to do this for Lucy! I know how you feel about not finding anything good for entertainment for the little monkeys! I think you are doing a great job!!

amber said...

I don't have any great ideas, but I like your ideas! :)

PS I love your picture at the top of your blog. I keep meaning to tell you, but keep forgetting. :)

Stefani said...

Aaaaa! I love those pix of her scribbling on the board. So AWESOME!
This is the time I started teaching Kelsi letters of the alphabet. (she knew most of them by the time she was 2) We used a white board but Chalkboard would have be much more classy. It's always impressive when little kids know what the letters look like and what they sound like. Of course this doesn't work for all kids. Afton had no interest until kindergarden and I'm still not sure Brady knows his letters, ha j/k ;)

Bret and Britni said...

Umm.. how cute is this?!! You are ridiculous in how amazing you are. Can I hate you? Okay, no, I can't. But I want a fraction of your creativity. K?? Thanks!
This is so cute. Rachael is so cute. YOU are so cute. That chalkboard is poifect!