Thursday, September 9, 2010

I can do hard things

A friend shared this blog with me and I was literally bawling as I was reading their story. Find their blog here, and be prepared to cry. (The link is only the most recent on Preslee, read the older posts, or try to scroll to the beginning)
Their story is about their little girl, Preslee, who fell into a canal in Rigby, ID, about 10 minutes away from Rexburg. She was life flighted to Idaho Falls, and then to Primary Children's. Preslee was about the same age as Rachael, which is why this story hit so close to home. As I was reading this, my own sweet little girl was over in the family room crying for something, and at first I started to get annoyed, but then I remembered what I was reading. I stopped, went to help her, then brought her to the computer with me where she was doodling on my lap. As I was bawling, my sweet little angel would gently caress my face or give me a little kiss, which made me cry harder. I cannot imagine what this mother is going through. I hope and pray that I will never have to go through something like this, because in this case, I don't think I could do the hard thing. I would break. My little princess is my entire world (not saying Preslee wasn't to her mother). This story has given me a new outlook on motherhood. It will always be hard, but I would rather do it than not.
(Even though I say I couldn't do it, deep down I know I could. Because of the Gospel and because of Jesus Christ, but I don't ever want to find out if I can or cannot)

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I read this and felt the same way!! (Although I don't have a little girl her same age...I bet that hits WAY close to home!) I can't imagine. That would be SO hard!

Clarissa said...

Crazy that you found this blog! It has reached SO many people. I went to highschool with Ashley and have followed their story. They are an amazing example, I too just hope that I don't have to go through something like this but am so much more grateful for my little Stu every second that I am with him! (:

Sam said...

I've heard the story about that little girl. It breaks my heart thinking about something like that happening to any kid, especially my girls.

Bret and Britni said...

Wow. I read her entire blog and sobbed through it all. I'm glad you shared it though, because their family is a great example to all of us... and I love her motto of "I Can Do Hard Things!". All of us don't WANT the hard things in life to enter in, but they do, and that quote is a really good reminder that we CAN do it. I couldn't imagine going through what this girl did... that would be SO hard. I'm not a mom [yet], but I am certain that would be one of the worst things to experience. Thanks for sharing Er... now I've got to re-do my make up! :). Love you! <3

amber said...

I have been reading their blog also, and this is one of my favorite posts that she posted. What a horrific thing. It is good to have great examples of enduring all around us.