Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Must... resist...

With all of todays technology, there are a lot of new things for parents to think about. For example, Rachael is at the age where she likes to scream. A lot. For no apparent reason. These screams make her a nightmare to take to the store. So lately I've been busting out the iPod and let her watch Ice Age III. I'm having mixed feelings about this because it is SO nice for her to just sit there, enthralled in something mind numbing, quitely. But on the other hand I don't want her to grow up expecting to have her mind numbed while we're grocery shopping. I want her to learn respect for those around her and for her to just be a good little girl. It may seem impossible but I think it is possible. But right now, she is still too young to really discipline, so should I just let it slide for now? (And don't think I haven't thought about taking the iPod to Sacrament Meeting. I haven't done it, and won't do it, but it has crossed my mind.) Also, for Easter the Easter Bunny brought her a DVD called "The Letter Factory" made by LeapFrog. It teaches kids phonix (?), their letters and the sounds they make. Rachael LOVES IT!! Onces it ends, she throws a fit until I take her away to do something else. Sometimes I justify her watching it by thinking "she's learning, right?" And I really believe she is because she is already starting to recognize letter sounds. But still, she is just sitting in her little recliner, watching TV. I truly, truly, believe that TV is not the greatest thing in the world for a child. It gives them shorter attention spans and makes them expect and need instant gratification. But it is sooo tempting when picking up crayons gets old pretty quick and reading the same story over and over and over slowly drives me crazy, I know its better for her, and will be better for me in the long run. When we have our own place someday, I don't even want cable. Yeah there are shows I like to watch, but when Rachael was first born we didn't have it and I read SO much more than I do now, plus more time for crafts and cleaning. Its just better all around. Ok, I think I'll go let Rachael out of her room now (hey, she locked herself in there)...

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I have a similar issue with Jake but I think mine is 100% worse. We bring little bags of cereal to public places so if he starts throwing a fit we give him crispix or whatever. Our kid is going to be obese.

Stefani said...

yes, welcome to the age of technology. We deal with this type of thing on a daily basis. I just try to remind myself that, even though they throw a fit (yes they still do) when I tell them no more TV, they'll still forgive me eventually, and in 10 years (or longer) they might even thank me. In the mean time, grow thick skin or buy some ear plugs:D

Kristin said...

Hooooked on pahonikes work-ed for me!
Good job resisting! It sounds like you've found a good solution.