Thursday, January 28, 2010

My thoughts on exercise

If you know me well, we have probably had a conversation about how much I hate exercising. Unless its a dance or pilates class, I just cannot enjoy it. I want to, I just can't. When I was in elementary school, my two best friends played sports. Basketball and soccer. I actually have a vivid memory of being at Kristin's soccer game when we were in like 4th grade (I was always very supportive and went to a lot of their games), but they had to forefit because they didn't have enough players. They still wanted to play, so they asked me if I wanted to. I LITERALLY remember thinking "But these are new shoes." Yeah. But I did play, and I just did not enjoy it. (And that is why I don't even try, cuz its not fun for me, so I'm not good. Sorry Nate's family, I know you all love sports)
Nate and I have been thinking about going to Thailand this April, but if that doesn't work out, we'll still go on a cruise. I have a goal to get my legs looking good enough that I won't feel weird if I don't wear board shorts. Is that a weird goal? Nevertheless... it is my goal. I'm going to get a new suit if I get to that point. I would love to go to my old dance studio and take some classes, but it is just so expensive. I would also love a gym membership to take yoga/pilates classes, but that is also too expensive. I have taken a Zumba (exercise hip hop class) and a pilates class at the community center, but they were both a little weird and I didn't really enjoy them. Then tonight, my sister in law, Laura, asked me to go to her gym to take a spinning class. I got a free pass online and went with her. I could barely get up the stairs tonight. Ugh. I just can't find anything that I LOVE (besides my good friend Tani Bree's pilates class in Rexburg, love you Tani!!) and I have NEVER been able to understand a "runners high" or any form of exercising high. The spinning class teacher tonight was like "DON'T YOU JUST LOVE THIS??" and I wanted to yell at her "NO! YOU'RE CRAZY!" Really though, spinning wasn't TOO bad. It was hard, don't get me wrong, but I won't be going every morning like Laura. That to me, is insanity. Maybe a few times a month. I just need to find my place in the exercising world, or at least money to pay for my place.
Let's be honest, I've never really HAD to work out. I wish that would always be the case, but realistically, I want more children and we all know what THAT can do to your body. I want to find something I love NOW when I'm in good shape, not when I would rather scratch my eyes out than put a tank top and some leggings on and hit the gym. I need motivation, a goal, and right now, even a Thailand trip isn't doing it for me. And I've tried the at home videos, but I feel like I work harder in a group of people. What I would LIKE is a work out buddy who wants to do the same things as me. Let me know and I will definitely work something out. Ugh. I hate exercise. Maybe I'll just stick with the thigh master...

3 comments:

Amelia Brame said...

Look at the bright side though, you might go to Thailand! That's so awesome!!! ;)

Stefani said...

Runners high comes after doing it a while. I know cuz I used to feel the same way as you. (go read my blog about it sometime) And if you sorta like spin, keep doing it, your legs won't always hurt... the'll adjust. Other tips: watch biggest loser, it's totally motivating and remember the scripture mastery scripture "do and then know"... it applies to exercise too.

Riss said...

I agree with Stefani on the runners high. When I first started running, it was torturous and I would barely make it through one mile. Your body gets conditioned though, and now I crave it.