Monday, September 14, 2009

Ugh...

I know that I got spoiled when Rachael was sent as my first child. She rarely cries, entertains herself, and eats mostly everything placed in front of her (more so when she was younger...). And another thing that I took for granted: she has never been sick, at least nothing I couldn't control with a little bit of baby motrin. The last little while has been a little tough for me. Rachael has had a constant diaper rash for the last three weeks. I called the pediatrician on friday and they prescribed a ointment (turns out to be for athlete's feet... weird) because they thought it might have been a yeast infection. I saw no improvement over the weekend so I took her in this morning. She has also contracted a rash on her stomach, chest, and back. It hasn't irritated her, but I don't like it. She is also cutting four molars. And after our check up today, we have discovered she has an ear infection. My life is one word. Joy. Really though, the diaper rash is giving her (and me) the most stress. The poor kid can't even sit down, and it doesn't help that she is still trying to walk and often crashes onto her bum. And changing her diaper is a chore!! It is so hard when I am by myself because she is squirming and thrashing, so Nate needs to hold her legs. It is so sad and I start to cry too because I HAVE to do it and get her bum so clean and put the desitin on. When I'm alone during the day I try to just pop her into the tub which she is not a fan of. It might even be worse. It is totally exhausting because she has been so needy. It is a strange emotion for me, I get so frustrated with her crying, but that is overpowered by pity and a desire for her to feel better. I can't do anything for her and I want to so badly. I hate giving her medicine but I know it helps her (don't worry, I don't pump her full of motrin, just when she can hardly move from the pain or at bed time). I hate even more that the doctor didn't tell me to do anything different. He prescribed an antibiotic for her ears (which I really hate...) but other than that I'm on my own. This whole having a sick kid is definately on my not-favorite list.

3 comments:

Melanie and Curtis said...

Oh, how I depise dipaer rashes. You just cringe with them as you clean their little bums. It will pass though. Keep up the good work and patience. She is such a sweetheart. We hope she recovers soon!

Lisa said...

ohhh Erin I am so sorry. Poor baby Rachael. I wish I could tell you a secret to making her feel all better, and I wish I was still your neighbor so I could help you out when Nate's not home! Does she have a fever? One thing I do know is that you can alternate tylenol and motrin. ie: give tylenol, 3 hours later give motrin, 3 hours later give tylenol, and so on. they are metabolized different ways so it doesn't overload their system and it makes it so they don't go without having anything in them. you're a good mommy, you're taking good care of her, and this won't last forever.

Lauritzen Lovin' said...

Ahh I'm sorry you two! It's no fun at all to be sick or to have diaper rash. Poor Sadie had a real bad one a couple of weeks ago. Hope you both get feeling better soon and know we love you! You're a wonderful mommy.