Friday, April 15, 2011

Hair Care for Curly-Q's

As I hope all of you know, I was blessed to have a daughter with curly hair. Not just wavy hair, SUPER curly hair. As much of a blessing that it is, it also requires more up keep than you might think. Maybe its just because of my profession, but I try to take really good care of Rachael's hair. Let me tell you our Hair Care routine. About 6 months ago I started using real, big girl Conditioner on her hair, mostly just in the back (I didn't want it running into her eyes) because it would get all snarled and frizzy within about an hour. Bless you, Conditioner. NOW I actually use my professional Shampoo AND Conditioner in her hair. (Shampoo twice to get all of the product and gunk out! I do it, so why shouldn't she?) She's old enough to keep her head back to keep it from running. Out of the tub, it gets a good brushing. (Oh, and I've actually cut her hair about 5 times, to even it all out and including bangs, and that most definitely happens in the tub where she is occupied) In the morning, I brush all of the snarls and tangles that formed on her pillow the previous night, then I spray her down with a water bottle, which she then proceeds to suck all of the water out of (again, occupied). Side part on the left, then I lift the curls with a pick comb, then I scrunch it with a combination of Nate's SUPER hold gel, also professional strength (hey, I'm a professional) and some amazing light hold gel from Garnier. Seriously, if you/your kid/your dog has curly hair, you should get some of this gel, it really perks them up. I swear, Rachael gets more hair product in her hair than I do. I keep scrunching it for about a minute until the curls have really sprung, then either put a simple little bow in to keep the hair out of her eyes or put a pony or two in (always with a bow). Seal it off with some hairspray and there we go! Finished! It may sound like a lot of work, but its not. Thing is though... the scrunching must be done every day, or else she looks ridiculous. Don't ask where these curls come from, because my hair is as straight as it comes and Nate's is definitely not curly. Extended family genes, I guess... Grandma Hancock had (has?) curls like this. Hopefully this new little girl has curls too, or else I won't know how to handle it!Here it is with her first French Braid on Valentine's Day. Finally!!

3 comments:

The Meachams said...

I love her hair. It is so so cute! I can't WAIT for Roslyn to have hair.

p.s. just ignore the billion times I've clicked on your blog today. I was trying to fix my blog. It wasn't updating on other people's blogs and so I just kept checking yours to see if it would work. Lol!

Bret and Britni said...

I am obsessed with her curly hair. It is so purrdy and perfect! Good thing she has such a stylish mom to help make it that much cuter. Love it!

Melanie and Curtis said...

It's exciting to get a braid in isn't it! Good thing Rachael has a professional hair stylist in her life! So cute Erin!