Friday, February 25, 2011

Honesty

I'm writing about something I've written about a LOT lately. Rachael's speech delay. I seriously cannot tell you how many emotions I have on this subject, all of them negative. I truly, truly, feel like a terrible mom on a daily basis. Not because she isn't talking, but because I feel like I can't try any longer. It is so frustrating to want to play a game with your child only to have both of you get so frustrated that mom ends up in tears and the kid wonders what is going on and starts bringing mom tissues (so sweet, by the way). I want to teach colors, shapes, have her sing songs with me, but I can only take so much of her saying, "Wah" every time I ask her a question. Nate and I have stopped asking her what everything is. I've decided to put a halt on my potty training efforts. Its terrible, but I think, "What's the point? She's not going to do it." (Bad mom feelings again.) Interactive reading, singing songs, asking questions, none of these things do anything other than make me frustrated and emotional. We're going to stop asking and hope that she stops feeling pressure and just talks. And people telling me stories about how their niece/nephew, son/daughter, Einstein didn't talk until they were four really don't make me feel any better. These feelings are truly absorbing my life. I can't focus on the joy of being pregnant, preparing for the baby, on moving, on anything other than my frustration.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry Erin. I'll pray for you. I love you girl, and I know you are a good mom. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Live Higher--Live Happier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

I'm sorry Erin. We're thinking about you!

Lauritzen Lovin' said...

Erin, you are in a very hard position. It's apparent how overwhelmed you feel. Just take it one day at a time! Know how much we love you and little Rachael:)Call me anytime!

Megan said...

Just remember, YOU are the mom. You know what is best for your child. That makes you a GOOD mom. The very fact that you've recognized that the frustration doesn't help you or her proves that. I read your blog and I'm always amazed by how many things you do with your daughter. Again, the fact that she brings you tissues when you're sad shows that you are a good mom. She will get there in her own time and probably be better because you let her and just loved her and helped her as much as you and she could handle each day. I agree with the above. Just take it one day at a time and you'll probably be surprised. Just watch. One day she'll just pop out in full sentences out of nowhere. :) She just needs to be able to voice her opinions fully maybe. :) Love ya lots.

amber said...

That is a hard thing to have to endure. I hope that things start looking up for all of you.

Bret and Britni said...

I love you missy.
You truly are a great mommy no matter what you think. I know you know best, and Rachael is sure to get it figured out in her own way and her own time. Seriously, if I can be half the mom you are some day I will be so happy. You are so fun and creative and patient and loving, who could ask for more?! Your feelings of frustration are totally valid, because you love your baby and want the best for her! And we all love you, and think you are the bestest best everrr! Fact.

Stefani said...

Easing up a little bit doesn't mean you're quitting.

Melanie and Curtis said...

We're thinking of you Erin. We love you all! Rachael is darling!