Friday, August 21, 2009

A job?

So I'm needing to make a major decision this weekend... whether or not to take a job. Here is the low down. Nate is heading into his last semester (yay!) which includes 15 credits of hard core accounting classes plus another one to get his Thai minor done. This means a lot of long nights filled with lots of homework. I feel like it would be best for Nate to just quit his job at Lone Pine Nursery and focus on school. I know it stresses him out to think about doing that, but I truly believe it will be for the best. However, we would be minus an income. We would be fine with just our Pel Grant, but we would like to have something to back us up. So, I figured I would look for a job. I found one! It is at a girl's apartment complex on campus, La Jolla. They have a licensed salon on site and each girl gets a manicure/pedicure/haircut once a month. I would get paid 10 dollars a service, which is sweet because a mani/haircut only take like 30 minutes, and a pedi takes an hour. I can handle that. The sweet thing for me is that I can have my own clients there. Negative: I have to work 20 hours a week. To most people that sounds AMAZING! But I would have to find a babysitter. My stomach aches thinking about not being with Rachael every second. What will I miss? Will she miss me? I know mothers work outside the home all of the time, but I've been a full time mom for over a year, how will I handle it? But of course, on the other hand, it would be nice to get a break. I would prefer for Nate to watch her for a few hours after classes and then he could go back to campus and do homework. But then I wouldn't ever see him. And I wouldn't be able to go to St. George as much as I would like, maybe only once this semester. The real question is... Can I make these sacrifices for 3.5 months? Is it worth it? PLEASE let me know what you think, even though I know the decision is inevitably mine and Nates...

3 comments:

erin said...

yeah, totally your and nates decision. im not a mom, but 3.5 months isnt THAT bad, so if you end up not liking it, its only 3.5 months!

Lisa said...

I can't tell you how many people have given me conflicting advice about nursing school. it's really hard making a decision that will separate you from your baby. but here's my opinion nonetheless. Life has different seasons...and you are in the season of Nate's education. you need to get him through school and let him focus on just school. he needs to get good grades so he can get a good job and make the big bucks. if that means you need to work 20 hours a week, then that's what it means. Rachel will be ok. You have family around, maybe they can all pitch in and help out to make it happen. And 3.5 months is really a very short amount of time. I think you should do it. And if you end up hating it...quit...and live off student loans. :)

Melanie and Curtis said...

Hey Erin! Even though it's not easy to leave Rachael and Nate, I say, go for it. It's definitely not my first choice to take time away from my kids to teach piano..but sure is nice to have money for food..and I do enjoy it for the most part. This job is totally in your field..how perfect and like you said, it's only 3 months. Good luck! You'll do the right thing for you guys!