Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Epiphany

Today I had an epiphany. So there I was, standing at the sink doing the dishes, listening to Rachael say, "Mom, mom, mom! Hum ear!" (come here) in the living room. I had just wrapped her in a blanket like a burrito and thought she'd be content to just lay there for a few minutes, seeing as how she really loves tight, dark, enclosed spaces. (For real. Under a laundry basket covered with a blanket is her favorite.) My immediate thought was, "Can't you just let me get something done for five seconds?"
And then I started thinking down the road about, say, 11 years, when Rachael is almost 15. She'll be well into her teen years (and gorgeous, I might add...) and probably won't want me anywhere near her. But I'll want so badly for her to say, "Mom, come here, let me talk to you."
Isn't that crazy how life turns around? One second I just want my kids to leave me alone for a bit, but in a few years time they'll want ME to leave THEM alone!
How frustrating it is to be a parent!
(P.S. I definitely stopped doing the dishes, went and wrapped my little girl even tighter, jostled her around, and made up crazy monster songs. She giggled and laughed, and I loved it.)

2 comments:

Stefani said...

Yes! You've got that exactly right!!! Good for you for recognizing it early ;)

Bret and Britni said...

Perfection.