Monday, April 23, 2012

EARTHQUAKE!!

I have just experienced my first earthquake! Literally, it was less that five minutes ago, but I've decided to document this occasion. It was pretty small, only lasted maybe five seconds, but my legs felt like jell-o after, I was so scared. At first I thought our downstairs neighbors just slammed their door really hard, but then it kept shaking. YIPES! I went to check on Rachael in the living room (Whit slept right through it.). She looked at me and said, "WOAH!... My turn!" Then proceeded to jump up and down, shaking the apartment a fair amount for such a small person. According to earthquake.usgs.gov, the earthquake was a 3.9 magnitude. One thing I was PETRIFIED of when we moved here to California was the earthquakes. Luckily this was my first, I'm sure it won't be my last, but I'm feeling the need to get more emergency preparedness stuff. We don't have the space for three months of food storage (excuses, excuses, I know...), but I'm going to work on getting us four little 72 hour kits. For reals. The thing I hate about earthquakes is their unpredictability. You never know when one is gonna hit.

3 comments:

Clarissa said...

OMG!!!!! How freaky!! I love Rachel's reaction! Good that it didn't scare her. "Being prepared" is hard in cramped spaces... good luck with your 72 hr. kits.

Kristin said...

Clarissa had my same thought 'I love Rachael's reaction!' We did our 72 hour kits last year and now we rotate the food every General Conference. But our food storage? I should get on that...

Brooke Bennett said...

So glad it didn't happen last week while we were there. I've never felt an earthquake and sure don't want to. Rachel reaction is super cute!