Sunday, October 24, 2010

I'd Pick More Daisies

I'm the 4th Sunday Relief Society teacher in my ward and this week the topic was on Temple work and Family History. I borrowed this huge binder my Grandma Hancock compiled with stories of my Great Grandparents and I found this little poem written by Robert Douglas Rechner read at my great-great-grandma Strate's funeral, and I just thought I'd share.
I'd Pick More Daisies
If I had my life to live over again, I'd try to make more mistakes next time.
I would relax. I would limber up.
I would be sillier than I have been this trip.
I know of very few things I would take seriously.
I would take more trips.
I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers and watch more sunsets.
I would do more walking and looking.
I would eat more ice cream and less beans.
I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones.
You see, I am one of those people who live prophylactically* and sensibly, and sanely, hour after hour, day after day.
Oh, I've had my moments and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead each day.
I have been one of those people who never go anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, aspirin, and a parachute.
If I had to do over again, I would go places, do things and travel lighter than I have.
If I had my life to live over, I would start barefooted earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.
I would play hookey more.
I would ride on more merry-go-rounds.
I'd pick more daisies.

*To sum up a definition, prophylactic means cautiously, more or less... so he is one who lives cautiously...

Have a good week and pick more daisies!!

2 comments:

amber said...

Oh, I loved that poem.

Bret and Britni said...

Thanks for the poem as a reminder... I too need to "pick more daisies"!!!