Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Can't catch a break...

Want to hear a ridiculous story? Yesterday we went out to lunch with some friends at the Thai restaurant here in town, a place Nate has applied to and followed up on. Well the owner of the establishment came out to bring us our food and Nate started to chat with her in Thai, and she remembered him. She asked him if he still wanted the job, he said yes, and she told him to stay for an interview before we left. She basically grabbed him as we were walking out the door, he didn't even have time to say goodbye to our friends. Basically, he got the job. As host. Not the greatest job, but never the less, a job. So he went in yesterday for about three hours. We were thinking, "Finally! An answer to our fasting and prayers!" Well... we got a call today that she decided "she wasn't hiring." Nate asked if he had done anything wrong. They said no, they just don't need the help. Great, we're back at square one. No job, on the search.
I can't believe these companies we've been dealing with!! The first one, telling him he has a job and we'll call in a few days, then after a month and a half, nothing. Sorry, oh, but here is a referral. Great, thanks a heap. The second one, here is a job, a crappy one, but still a job. Oh, never mind. We actually only needed help for the busy President's Day rush (they never said that but I'm assuming...). Peace out.
I am SO SICK of dealing with unprofessional people! I almost wish companies like this didn't make it. Another thing that makes me mad is the first company, the accounting job, the guy Nate was dealing with doesn't even have an accounting degree, his daddy owns the company so that's how he got the job... The Thai woman met her American husband while he was on his mission, came over here and thought, "Why not open a restaurant?" No education (clearly not in business), probably couldn't even speak english. Ridiculous.
Nate has worked unbelievably hard to get the education he has. I thought that was supposed to help him. I am so frustrated right now I cannot even describe it to you.

(I know this whole education thing is the right thing to do, and some day it will pay off big time, this is just hard right now. And I'm sorry if I'm overly harsh and rude, but a blog is a great way to express your feelings, and that is what I've done.)

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Urghhh. You have good reason to be frustrated- I would be too! Grrr...
I'm sure things will work out for you too, but it is still hard to go day-to-day, wondering where you are supposed to be heading.
I'm glad to see you are blogging at the same time as me! :)

Stefani said...

Blessing in disguise. It's maddening to deal with unprofessional people - it would be a heck of a lot worse to work for them.

Amelia Brame said...

That IS rough- I'm so sorry... the job hunt is one of the most frustrating things on the planet. I swear that's what "hell" is gonna be like... an endless job hunt ;)

Michele said...

Oh man, I'm sorry it didn't work out! Even though it's amazing food, I say you boycott all Thai restaurants for at least a week. That will help you feel better at least. :) Lame. But on another note I hope your mom is okay and didn't break anything!

Sam said...

So frustrating! Sorry.